Understanding and improving the role of technology is promoting a healthy information ecosystem in elections
About the Action Coalition:
Addressing information pollution in the context of elections is a relatively new field. However, the deployment of sophisticated disinformation tactics is now widely recognised as a low cost and low risk method to influence political outcomes and undermining democratic processes. This Coalition assembles experts from the elections, technology, and media/communications fields to contribute expertise, guidance, and knowledge on effective responses to disinformation and hate speech in elections, including the role of digital technologies. With this community, it will work to achieve the following objectives:
- To improve information sharing and coordination among key stakeholders in electoral assistance and support, to include representatives from the technology sector.
- To assess and understand the most concerning impacts of disinformation on electoral integrity through analysis of recently held elections.
- To gather best practice, case studies and experience to contribute to the development of effective programmatic recommendations and guidance.
- To critically assess how the integration of technology in electoral settings can best contribute to inclusive, participatory, transparent, and peaceful elections
Output during the Year of Action:
- A programmatic discussion paper to inform and strengthen global and national level mechanisms, decisions and policies linked to information integrity in elections.
- “Information Integrity and Elections” virtual event to highlight and amplify key findings
- A mapping of key initiatives, including tech solutions, at the global and regional level